Wednesday 9 August 2017

Incentives in Dieting

It's been a week since Mr. Jenjo went back to sea. One down, 5 to go.

The day before he left, I  suggested an incentive program to keep me active. As we both know, I am sometimes prone to cataclysmic levels of sloth and apathy when he goes away. I don't do it on purpose, it just happens, and without his presence here to "WOOT WOOT!!" me out of it, I comfortably stay that way. I won't lie: there have been nights in the past where I had a can of corn niblets for supper. Not hot, or seasoned. Just cold, sad corn, right out of the can. So, my idea for my incentive program was to get me off my ass and cooking new foods, grocery shopping for produce regularly, and exercising (my goal for the 6 weeks he is gone is to lose 10-15lbs from the day he left, in a good way, not a corn-diet way) instead of reading the comments sections on Facebook posts. Like a good husband, he said he would put some thought into it and let me know what my reward would be for forcing myself off the furniture.

That night, we went out for a meal at one of our favourite pizza places to check out their veg-friendly selections. While we were waiting to be seated, he said he had come up with an idea. Trusting my honesty, and willingness to succeed, he said if I managed to lose 10-15lbs in a safe, healthy way in the 6 weeks he was absent, he would put an end to my cursing on my Black & Decker blender and buy a new Ninja kitchen system. Let's be honest here, I was thinking he'd take me out for a nice dinner upon his return, or let me finally get to pick out a red car when the lease is up on our Sonata. But a Ninja blender/food processor for the kitchen?! This is SO MUCH BETTER! And I may eventually win on the red car next April (because I am tenacious like that), and still get a dinner date.

So, as proof that I have indeed been eating like a human being (albeit a plant-eating one), I present to you my food pictures because I have become that kind of person now. I am just steering into the skid.

 
Hummus, grilled mushroom & onion, Daiya shreds on English muffin w/ sweet kale salad. 



Homemade pesto, 4 grain penne, cherry tomatoes & corn topped with fresh pepper

Ginger garlic tofu and udon noodle stir fry.

One-pot Chickpea Biryani

See! I made food! And I started wearing my fitness tracker again, and even turned on the movement alert so if I have been stationary too long, it shames me into getting up and doing something. Netflix asking me if I am still watching has had no effect, but this thing vibrating on my wrist and telling me I am a lazy piece of shit works like a charm. 

Fitness trackers never sleep...

As for progress, I have lost 2.4 pounds since Kevin set sail last week (for an overall total of 15 pounds in the past 5 weeks), but this is PMS week coming up now so I may puff back up a pound before the weekend. I am hopeful it stops at that. In the meantime, I have some Facebook comment sections to read till my wrist yells at me again.

No comments:

Post a Comment